Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  dr3ad : (04 July 2018 - 10:37 AM)

Fixed issue where some members would get "You're not allowed to visit this community" error

@  dr3ad : (30 June 2018 - 06:19 PM)

Added commands .gob massmove #EntryID #Distance #f/l/w/d/u & .gob massrel #EntryID #Distance #f/l/w/d/u (those two commands move all entries in specified direction, as well as .aura list which displays all "hidden" auras on the character

@  dr3ad : (27 June 2018 - 08:53 PM)

Added new commands .gob massreplace #EntryID #NewEntryID and .gob massscale #EntryID #Scale

@  dr3ad : (18 June 2018 - 03:21 PM)

Donator Extended rank has been changed a bit. Read more here.

@  dr3ad : (07 June 2018 - 10:24 PM)

RPHLite AddOn is now available for download, it's a must have addon and will ship with RPHTiny client by default from now on. Read more here.

@  dr3ad : (31 May 2018 - 02:35 PM)

New reward Book Forge has been added! Read more here.

@  dr3ad : (20 May 2018 - 10:53 PM)

You can get notified when player joins the phase if you're phase owner or have a rank. While having permission you can toggle messages with .toggleph

@  dr3ad : (20 May 2018 - 10:53 PM)

You can now auto promote players that join the phase with .ph auto #RankID command

@  dr3ad : (16 May 2018 - 11:52 PM)

.phase inplace command has been added that skips phase starting location (leaves you in place), however requires phase rank to use

@  dr3ad : (07 May 2018 - 09:53 AM)

Starting Area Contest has started and will last until 17th of May! View topic here.

@  dr3ad : (28 March 2018 - 08:57 AM)

Getting coins voting at XtremeTop100 fixed. Many additions to NPC Scripting. Check changelog.

@  dr3ad : (18 February 2018 - 06:31 PM)

Some NPC Script updates. Addition of Target Type "NPC with specific GUID" and Action "Pause Waypoint Movement", so now the scripts can finally target specific npc based on guid

@  dr3ad : (06 February 2018 - 04:29 PM)

Reminder that you can now chose in Rank Manager whether player can only manipulate (e.g delete) his own gobs/npcs. Phase owner can now also change color of specific phase ranks a.k.a name color in .ph ann

@  dr3ad : (25 December 2017 - 10:52 PM)

NPC scripts now work in all phases that you own, additionally phase ranks now contain "Can Use NPC Scripting" option, so everyone who has Scripting perk can now promote people and let them help with scripting the phase

@  dr3ad : (04 December 2017 - 06:19 PM)

You can now browse already made NPC Templates and use their items while making a new NPC Template!

@  dr3ad : (02 December 2017 - 06:39 PM)

New command: .phase playlist #SoundID #LengthOfASongInSeconds will let you make phase playlists e.g 10 songs that will keep playing on loop from 1-10 and repeat. Every consecutive command use the song is added to the list. Use .phase pl clear to clear the playlist

@  dr3ad : (28 November 2017 - 10:49 PM)

Server is online!

@  dr3ad : (28 November 2017 - 07:50 PM)

Server is restarting and will be up in a couple of minutes as soon as phase cleanup is done!

@  dr3ad : (28 November 2017 - 07:19 PM)

Gameobject cleanup will take place soon, all accounts inactive more than 6 months will have their character's phases deleted as we're reaching 15 millions gobjects mark!

@  dr3ad : (21 November 2017 - 04:27 PM)

New command: .gob near will list Top 10 Closest gameobjects and their guids/scales

Photo
- - - - -

The Current State of RPH

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Bloodthistle

Bloodthistle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:20 AM

Please read the entire post before commenting!
IF YOU HAVE ANY POINTERS, then please keep the discussion at regularly constructive level. We will engage each other with a friendly attitude, and with the intent of making the server better (whether you believe that is through change or remaining exactly as is).

First, I’m baffled to see that many of you are surprised over a few ERP-inclined phases having recently popped back online. Had you not seen this coming? The culture of RPH community is, as of right now, revolving solely around social roleplay with lead on the stray (and only) path toward ERP. Should you try anything else, then you will be smitten by the moderators; for their wish is to sanction the aforementioned attributes in ties to their phase.

Thereby, you can expect at least many more months in these public settings. Personally: I see no end of it unless every individual contributes by changing, and encouraging others alike, their ways. This will be described below. We will deal with some FAQ before that.

“B-but Bloodthistle! Bloodthistle, hey! If you don’t like public phases, then you can just join a private roleplay!”
What community is there, should you be limited to the conditions we currently face – and are as follows:

1.       Half of .tele start (or more) are characters who only seek ERP.

2.       If you want to have private roleplay, then you must either:

a.       Go to public phase, start a roleplay and move to a private setting for a continuation of the story (incredibly rare, as of bulletin (1) and premise above).

b.       Whisper someone (very rare that anyone will agree to anything not social/romantic, as of bulletin (1).

Result: there is no community for you in RPH, as of right now, should you wish to exclude romantic/erotic settings. Sure, there might be you and a small group of friends, but no more than that. Many of the older and experienced role players want to revert to a more open style of RP, which includes a selection not currently seen: combat, manipulation (psychological), dark, gore, diplomacy, et cetera. Do NOT take this the wrong way – Many of the old role players ALSO indulge in social and romantic settings. They just don’t want these to be exclusive themes. That is why the older role players have all left.

“B-but Bloodthistle! Bloodthistle, hey! Why don’t you just make your own phase?”

Because it has already been trialed. The devastation of having one’s character jeopardized or – God forbid – INJURED(!!!) is all too severe. In my excruciatingly analytical viewpoint, it all began with “void”. Now, if your character passes on an altercation with another and deals a blow, they are sure to move on to say: “((lol. there are guards. i’m voiding you.))” – instead of dealing with it IC; acting it out. Let the guards come! RP it out!

Why is this an issue?

It’s monochromatic. Roleplay on RPH is no longer dynamic: vibrant: flexible. Instead, it’s stale, pathological. Anyone new to RPH will log in, see the many characters with all same concept and intent and then become the same way. This is empirical and has already been seen over the course of past 6 months, in the very least.

It is also a recurring theme not to want to challenge oneself through means of engaging other characters with unfriendly manners (because such might lead to a conflict – meaning an injury of characters). Therefore, not many people currently improve or grow as role players.

My solution:

-          Change your mindset.

-          Encourage people to improve themselves in RP and writing. Help them if they wish.

-          Don’t “void” – Try to work it out IC and THEN solve issues AFTER the RP encounter (seen in other games).

-          If you aren’t an avid erotic role player, then stop encouraging it. Yes, people can RP whatever they want. However, a reminder for you is what I wrote above, regarding the newcomers of RPH – as RPH is constantly growing, and now at a rapid pace.

-          Try out some combat RP, even if it’s just a drunken fistfight at the local tavern everyone adores! Find out more facts about plate armor: can you really swim in it? Is it too heavy? What about chainmail – or when to use an axe instead of a sword? Perhaps your character can discuss it with a fellow soldier?

Thank you if you read through this post.

I, as one of the older role players, hope that this hazardous epidemic will calm down and role play will once again become dynamic.
Again, please keep the tone of debate at a friendly level. Looking forward to reading your replies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

Let me clarify what my post is about since there is so much confusion about it.

What some people think Bloodthistle means with his post:

"You must RP the way I want you to and you must aspire to become the next God of RP or you shouldn't RP at all."

What Bloodthistle actually means:

"Please be open to more roleplay scenarios. Make sure that you understand that RP isn't personal. Understand that your character's actions have consequences, and be ready to face those consequences. We are here to be entertained; working together as a community enhances that aspect (even if sometimes at your character's expense)."

• Red Dorage and Enlightened Student like this

8f7f559ec6.jpg

#BloodthistleVictimsMatter

#2 Axel

Axel

Human Degenerate

• Donator* (Donator Extended)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:36 AM

Current state? It's been like this for years. Nothing has ever changed and nothing will ever change. 

• yolandi, Bruce, Ezcu and 2 others like this

#3 Dionysus2

Dionysus2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:28 AM

this some bull shit right here

-          Try out some combat RP, even if it’s just a drunken fistfight at the local tavern everyone adores! Find out more facts about plate armor: can you really swim in it? Is it too heavy? What about chainmail – or when to use an axe instead of a sword? Perhaps your character can discuss it with a fellow soldier?

wtf you talking about nigga? combat rp is literally the worst part about any public rp lmao. it is boring as fuck and goes on for hours

Many of the older and experienced role players want to revert to a more open style of RP, which includes a selection not currently seen: combat, manipulation (psychological), dark, gore, diplomacy, et cetera.

this some edgy shit. if you want darkrp go to gmod. you will practically never have quality rp in public phases.

I, as one of the older role players, hope that this hazardous epidemic will calm down and role play will once again become dynamic.

it has been like this for years and will continue being like this. u want quality rp, rp with ur friends, simple. phase system in rph is meant to offer freedom not community

• yolandi, Ezcu and Tevildo like this

#4 Bloodthistle

Bloodthistle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:28 AM

Current state? It's been like this for years. Nothing has ever changed and nothing will ever change. 

It hasn't been this bad "for years". For a good while, yes. Perhaps even for a year. However long it has been this way (which is subjective), it is still current.

8f7f559ec6.jpg

#5 Dionysus2

Dionysus2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:29 AM

It hasn't been this bad "for years". For a good while, yes. Perhaps even for a year. However long it has been this way (which is subjective), it is still current.

no lmao, it's been like this for like half of RPH history. 

• vadeous and VraulJawrip like this

#6 Coach

Coach

Annoying Prick From Starting Area

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:36 AM

Half of .tele start (or more) are characters who only seek ERP.

Hold up

how do you know?

1497120822301.png

explain.

• Kyuma likes this

#7 Axel

Axel

Human Degenerate

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:40 AM

i started close to 2 years ago, was a big part of the community for a bit (negative part probably), stopped coming online like 10 months ago, only sometimes logging on if ive been bored, and literally nothing has changed

the same 10 people are screeching in start, ann and the forums

the same 20 erp bait characters sit in start

the same 3 roleplays are hosted

sure it might have gotten a bit worse over the years, but it has not been "good" in my time here at least

• Dionysus2 likes this

#8 Krenan

Krenan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:41 AM

My solution:

- -
--
 - -

Find out more facts about plate armor: can you really swim in it? Is it too heavy? What about chainmail – or when to use an axe instead of a sword? Perhaps your character can discuss it with a fellow soldier?

I want to say something sarcastic but I think it speaks for itself, doesn't it

• Ezcu and Josh00 like this

Neztharion

#9 Tevildo

Tevildo

Use personal pronouns dammit

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:45 AM

Sure, there might be you and a small group of friends, but no more than that.

Why wouldn't you prefer primarily to RPing with friends? That's what it is for. I mean, I understand that making new friends and characters conveys a gust of fresh air, but I think RP should be primarily with people that are your friends.

It is also a recurring theme not to want to challenge oneself through means of engaging other characters with unfriendly manners (because such might lead to a conflict – meaning an injury of characters). Therefore, not many people currently improve or grow as role players.

This seem to me to be an exclusive theme in public phases. I kinda get where you are getting from, but playing the devil's advocate; for starters, engaging in an IC heated disagreement, displeasure or hate can be in betterment of the RP, yes, but when it comes into a fight (In a social hub) I have seen that either of individuals participating in such a shoehorn end up not taking any progression from such encounters at all. Secondly, speaking as a DM, having a public phase in which people frequent to is hectic; And it is even more so difficult when there's only one DM, now imagine that this DM already has something planned to do (an event or whatever), having people fight each other constantly without minding what the DM might had planned before, for me, is counter productive. It pulls the DM into a position in which he has to control the multiple fights ensuing, and in a public phase, where people have an array of different characters, it becomes chaotic and unpleasant. Plus, this combat RP tends to be very boring, uninteresting, unfruitful and not worth it.

To put an example for this, its like playing a chaotic evil character in a regular adventurer group in a DnD campaign; while conflicts in the group here and there are healthy to the overall progression, when it becomes a recurring note to the point that it is in detriment of the progression of the story, it is a problem and not a DM problem, a player problem. I believe that there should be consideration to the DM first and foremost.

Try out some combat RP, even if it’s just a drunken fistfight at the local tavern everyone adores!

While I don't think you mean ill with this, with the aforementioned reasoning of mine, its not always good. Again, this makes the DM distracted real fast and a fight of the likes can and will go south very easily.

there is no community for you in RPH

There is however, in this very forums there has been an increase, I have noted, of people starting private RPs and settings. There has been, as of late, Operation: Conquest, That space adventure, Age of Insurrection, The Grimswing Tournament. There is Adventure Company, Tales of Outland, The Golden Age, etc etc.

Overall I think this is just a critic over nothing really. What you say isn't really new and its only targeted to public RP. Public RP is primarily social hubs, that's the reality. Take it as a platform to indeed try and meet other people to form your own group of bois to engage in your own private campaign, but that's it. The solutions you posted seems to be strictively for public phases and I recommend to not focus on in public phases at all, yes, your tips can be taken in a good way, but the people who frequent public phases joined by the amount, freshness to the server and DM disponibility or DMing way will differ always and such the public scene will not change from its vices. Really, don't focus on public phases more than it should be, progression that counts is better obtained in a closeted, private enviroment with a group of FRIENDS.

ERP

Uhhh... I don't think you are trying to keep to you or look the other way. This has always been there.

• Mains Uther likes this

cooltext292949898920985.png

Characters:

#10 RoberTheForlorne

RoberTheForlorne

thiccest of roys

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:46 AM

no lmao, it's been like this for like half of RPH history. 

i am the thiccest

i a m the roy

i am the thiccest of roys.

Characters:

Collins McOlson - Morley Character, Innkeeper of the Quiver.

Aethelwulf Ice - Bastard and Wannabe Knight of Alterac, following around a girl.

The Smiling Knight - Once, a loyal Soldier of the Dark Lady, now an undead man-killer, out to find a purpose, filled with bloodshed.

Lorik Blightstag - Operation: Conquest version of the Smiling Knight, in the past.

Dogo'vol - Amani Berserker, seeking blood.

Harmonica Black - Enigma. DM Character for Phase. (Link Below)

qwe30Ib.png

#11 SalineSeas

SalineSeas

unfunny autist

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:07 PM

And so the Heavens cried out, a resonating mantra which empowered the souls of those who were to behold the grandeur of it's magnificence:

"lol nigga go look for the rp u want lmao u got no legs or something shm ur a peabrain"

• Red Dorage, Ezcu, Kyuma and 4 others like this

i'm in your area

#12 Nortwin

Nortwin

self-proclaimed forum moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1932 posts

User's Awards

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:10 PM

80% of "RPers" on RPH dont even know what godmodding/poweremoting/metagaming is, remember back on eche when you had to know that to join a guild? yeah, let's fucking do it again, retards

• Red Dorage, Antonius Augury, SalineSeas and 2 others like this

8DxYnsg.png

#13 Aruhiem

Aruhiem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:56 PM

Thing is, the people who create this problem won't even read this.

#14 Esadan

Esadan

haha same dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:02 PM

It's stupid when people say "it's been like this for years". It really hasn't. RP is on a steady decline. Sorry, it just is.

When it comes down to it, there are fuckloads of fundamental flaws with this community that, by this point, will be extremely difficult to change.

One of the main issues, as of now, is that most roleplayers joining the server are likely new and have come from places like Stormwind on retail, and have never had the chance to experience true RP in a private setting, like venerable roleplayers have, due to most experienced roleplayers having started when RP was generally less popular and more close-knit. New roleplayers, of course, generally lack what experienced roleplayers would deem as common sense.

Another issue is: experienced roleplayers just want to see their own idea of RP become a reality and experience their own perfect little perspective. This is a side-effect of having the liberty to create your own closed off little phase and build whatever you want. Inexperienced individuals tend to just stick with what everyone else is doing, which creates a cycle of elder roleplayers just either falling into a pit of redundancy or straight up leaving the community entirely due to it not fitting with their exact mindset, and younger roleplayers just sticking with the masses of other inexperienced individuals who lack common sense. 

A lot of people don't seem to understand that roleplaying is also a team effort. It's a combined thing, that you share with others. I've noticed this being ignored due to people just winging and complaining when they don't get their way, not putting in the effort to roleplay seriously, or show up to events, run guilds, etc. You're interacting with individuals on a platform. You need to actually try, and put in effort, rather than waiting around for everything to be spoon fed into your mouth. This also creates a problem where, when a singular individual decides he want's to actually do something and form something well-made, he ends up getting mostly ignored or shut down by the masses. 

I could go on and on and on if I wanted to. I just wanted to say a lil somethin' here, as I found myself agreeing with your topic somewhat. At this point, I'm p much a casual roleplayer, and I've stopped putting so much time into what I deem as a sinking ship. /shrug

• Red Dorage, Strathford and Bloodthistle like this

"Let Euron your servant be born again from the sea as you were.

Bless him with salt, bless him stone, bless him with steel.

Listen to the waves, listen to the god.

He is speaking to us, and he says: 'We shall have no king but Euron Greyjoy'.

Let the sea wash your follies and your vanities away.

Let the old Euron drown, let his lungs fill with seawater. 

Let the fish eat the scales off his eyes.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger."

#15 James Willhelm

James Willhelm

Adventure Company

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:07 PM

IVE DONE IT. IVE DISCOVERED THE PROBLEM BEHIND THE ORIGINAL POST.

You're one of those people who thinks social rp can and must only lead to sex...(which speaks volumes of what you expect of social interactions irl as well tbh) instead of...oh idk...friendships, and potential for rp that developes off such relationships. Therefore you are also one of the idiots who think the only way to have good and progressive rp is through combat. Ie - "I'm not satisfied unless I'm forcing your character to have one left arm or better yet utterly killing them off." Great progression btw. No better way to progress your own rp then to completely end someone else's.

Here's a scenario for you though. All social rp. All something that occurs frequently to those who arent arrogantly blind to it. I walk into a public phase, spotting some of my good friends hanging around a fountain in the middle of town and chatting. I walk up and join them in the conversation...which seems to be able which drink they prefer at the bar. With such a topic we obviously move in to the bar, order some drinks and continue socializing...going through numerous topics like the socially capable people we are. We're not barbarians afterall. After awhile...someone else approaches, having taken interest in our conversation. Again, being socially capable people...we dont threaten them with death for interrupting but rather let them join in. How else do you meet new people without awkwardly going up with no clue on something in common to speak of afterall? We introduce ourselves...and...given I personally lead a guild that goes on adventures in private rp but finds new people to join us publicly...they discover that they are speaking to a group that offers work in that form and sign up.

Holy shit. Did I just explain a common scenario where the end of it DIDNT involve erp and actually led to a nice way to include other forms of rp without forcing two people to butt egos in some pointless character vs character fight which would lead to either an OOC arguement or death because nobody on this God damn server seems to understand how to fight without killing / severely injuring someone?
  • Dove and Tevildo like this

26.jpg

#16 Bloodthistle

Bloodthistle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:21 PM

You're one of those people who thinks social rp can and must only lead to sex...(which speaks volumes of what you expect of social interactions irl as well tbh) instead of...oh idk...friendships, and potential for rp that developes off such relationships. Therefore you are also one of the idiots who think the only way to have good and progressive rp is through combat. Ie - "I'm not satisfied unless I'm forcing your character to have one left arm or better yet utterly killing them off." Great progression btw. No better way to progress your own rp then to completely end someone else's.

Here's a scenario for you though. All social rp. All something that occurs frequently to those who arent arrogantly blind to it. I walk into a public phase, spotting some of my good friends hanging around a fountain in the middle of town and chatting. I walk up and join them in the conversation...which seems to be able which drink they prefer at the bar. With such a topic we obviously move in to the bar, order some drinks and continue socializing...going through numerous topics like the socially capable people we are. We're not barbarians afterall. After awhile...someone else approaches, having taken interest in our conversation. Again, being socially capable people...we dont threaten them with death for interrupting but rather let them join in. How else do you meet new people without awkwardly going up with no clue on something in common to speak of afterall? We introduce ourselves...and...given I personally lead a guild that goes on adventures in private rp but finds new people to join us publicly...they discover that they are speaking to a group that offers work in that form and sign up.

Holy shit. Did I just explain a common scenario where the end of it DIDNT involve erp and actually led to a nice way to include other forms of rp without forcing two people to butt egos in some pointless character vs character fight which would lead to either an OOC arguement or death because nobody on this God damn server seems to understand how to fight without killing / severely injuring someone?

All of what you assumed about my stances regarding RP (and IRL) is entirely false. I don't know why you would put these labels on me in a constructive debate. Of course, me telling you this won't help because you won't believe it.

8f7f559ec6.jpg

#17 Red Dorage

Red Dorage

Dorange

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:26 PM

my solution: close rph

dorage.png

Spoiler

#18 Ghor

Ghor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:40 PM

Big Zzzzz

• Ezcu likes this

#19 RoberTheForlorne

RoberTheForlorne

thiccest of roys

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:42 PM

who knew james would be the name of fucking reason.

i am the thiccest

i a m the roy

i am the thiccest of roys.

Characters:

Collins McOlson - Morley Character, Innkeeper of the Quiver.

Aethelwulf Ice - Bastard and Wannabe Knight of Alterac, following around a girl.

The Smiling Knight - Once, a loyal Soldier of the Dark Lady, now an undead man-killer, out to find a purpose, filled with bloodshed.

Lorik Blightstag - Operation: Conquest version of the Smiling Knight, in the past.

Dogo'vol - Amani Berserker, seeking blood.

Harmonica Black - Enigma. DM Character for Phase. (Link Below)

qwe30Ib.png

#20 Panther

Panther

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:57 PM

I actually disagree with you. I believe that the general level of quality of roleplay increased from Eche-WoW and Div-X. People are much more sensible, tend to avoid metagaming and often engage with you without OOC intervention. For example, in the past two months, I had an excellent "officer" roleplay of the Horde representatives. 

My another point is that it seems that you aren't willing to compromise, Bloodthistle. It's like you assumed this defensive position where it's You versus them and it's not helping anyone. For example, you mentioned the gore roleplay. I hope you don't think that torture a character for several hours, while they can only repeat what pain you inflict on them, is good in any way. Most of the "knife" fights would end in the Tarantino-style bloody mess, without any victors and the end of the characters. 

I understand where this is coming from, but I think your approach isn't that great.

Would you suggest that we drop the GM-status and enforce server-wide moderations with only one region of roleplay?