Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  dr3ad : (06 June 2019 - 07:37 PM)

All issues resolved. Server is back online.

@  dr3ad : (06 June 2019 - 06:52 PM)

We are aware of the CDN issue that prevents you from opening Wow. We are working on resolving it.

@  dr3ad : (09 March 2019 - 08:53 PM)

Fixed some crashes, almost 2 days uptime now.

@  dr3ad : (24 November 2018 - 01:38 PM)

Couple of thousand new/missing gameobjects have been added. Check out the full list here.

@  dr3ad : (23 November 2018 - 02:56 PM)

Fixed 'failed to retrieve' pw field in account panel.

@  dr3ad : (17 November 2018 - 06:41 PM)

Server is once again online and website is back up and running, so you can login/register. 7.3.5 changelog can be viewed here.

@  dr3ad : (11 November 2018 - 11:36 PM)

Changelog coming soon.

@  dr3ad : (11 November 2018 - 11:36 PM)

Server is online. Download new client here https://rpheaven.org...nnection-guide/

@  dr3ad : (11 November 2018 - 07:44 PM)

Server is undergoing restart and updating to 7.3.5, new client link will be posted in a bit. Stay tuned.

@  dr3ad : (08 November 2018 - 01:07 PM)

Do not build anything important starting from now as we're taking backup and upgrading to 7.3.5 first in the next couple of days, as a part of transition to BFA.

@  dr3ad : (03 November 2018 - 08:52 PM)

Fixed Sign Maker in Gameobject Forge.

@  dr3ad : (20 October 2018 - 03:52 PM)

Fixed the annoying downtime that would happen quite often. Server restarter is now working at 100% again

@  dr3ad : (09 October 2018 - 07:06 PM)

Fixed all client related Connection Issues & Errors. Just run .exe again

@  dr3ad : (15 September 2018 - 01:07 AM)

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: For everyone having connection issues please redownload client from here!

@  dr3ad : (29 August 2018 - 07:05 PM)

Fixed all of the voting sites, now you can earn up to (3x3)x2 = 18 silver coins per day!!!

@  dr3ad : (10 August 2018 - 07:44 PM)

RPH: Battle for Azeroth + New Project (must read). View here.

@  dr3ad : (18 July 2018 - 11:31 PM)

If you're getting BLZ51900002 error change your DNS server settings to google's 8.8.8.8 (if you dont know how to do this google it)

@  dr3ad : (04 July 2018 - 10:37 AM)

Fixed issue where some members would get "You're not allowed to visit this community" error

@  dr3ad : (30 June 2018 - 06:19 PM)

Added commands .gob massmove #EntryID #Distance #f/l/w/d/u & .gob massrel #EntryID #Distance #f/l/w/d/u (those two commands move all entries in specified direction, as well as .aura list which displays all "hidden" auras on the character

@  dr3ad : (27 June 2018 - 08:53 PM)

Added new commands .gob massreplace #EntryID #NewEntryID and .gob massscale #EntryID #Scale

Photo

Is The Army of The Light exclusive to draenei?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Sitra

Sitra

my dick so big it wears socks and shoes

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 01:04 AM

If the lore is subjective depending on who interprets it, how can we have a cohesive roleplay and agree on...anything?

That's the beauty of it - we don't have to agree. When you play on a server without an established canon where everyone can be who they want, you won't have cohesive roleplay. And it's okay. Establish a phase with a specified canon to fix this, and roleplay with people that share your view on things, or are able to accept it.

Sure, a faction description says they allow other survivors in - but do we see them anywhere? Are they named, mention anywhere else other than one sentence? Does it specifically mention races of Azeroth are allowed to bear the title? No, not really, it's terribly vague and I do believe Blizzard's lore writing is as cohesive as a four year old's story about going to Disneyland. It's incomplete, it lacks support, and I personally don't see it as an enough reason to say "Turalyon can tell my paladin he can join the Army of Light" - I see it as enough of a reason to see what happens in the future though, and wait for it to be fleshed out until I am given a definite answer. Until then, I will go by what has more support in the actual in-game representation.

(Also because, what other survivors could the description possibly be referring to?)

I don't entirely concern myself with "possibly" - I like to see things and read on them. To explain further.

1. The army takes in survivors of the Burning Legion's assaults.
    1. The army happens to be consisting of draenei, 2 humans and 1 dreadlord at the present time, including the survivors.
    2. The survivors are there but you can never see them, so just assume they're there.

Can you, yourself, choose to believe in the second option? Absolutely, more power and opportunity to you. The argument that races of Azeroth are said survivors is, to me, too vague to take at face value, and I've yet to see it confirmed, so until it is I am going with the first one.

If the artwork released by Blizzard further supports this version of the lore by including dwarves, gnomes and the such among the ranks of the Army of the Light, then all the better. As for in-game representation, Turalyon leads a mix of Lightforged Draenei and Human Paladins in Stromgarde, it's not concrete evidence for anything (and it rarely is with anything when talking Blizzard), but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Alternatively, the artwork presents the adventurer / player character fighting alongside the Army of Light. Turalyon is still one of the original five first paladins, so no wonder he's leading paladins into battle, especially now that Army of Light is a part of the Alliance.

We can go in circles about how we perceive this case, really, but I do believe I've already said all that I had to say on the matter. 

4483d6af51c6e1e249ca7465da47f3b7.png

#22 cruise3174

cruise3174

the best of RPH

• Donator* (Donator Extended)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 04:53 AM

I think we also need to talk about how that if you are Lightforged, you went through the ritual (that only the Army of the Light know how to do and can preform) and not slipping into the sunwell. To be Lightforged you have had to have done the ritual.

Aelsinthar is not lightforged. He's just clumsy. Also, he has a new character and is ban evading again.

Look out for his other discord, Estabond.

Attached Files

• Illarian likes this
Do or do not, there is no try. -Yoda (Star Wars: Episode V)

Only a Sith deals in absolutes. -Obi-Wan Kenobi (Star Wars: Episode 3)

#23 Erkorr

Erkorr

punished forum alt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 07:59 AM

300px-Alleriaandturalyon.jpg?version=f18

• Illarian likes this

#24 Hey Its Kaza

Hey Its Kaza

The Greatest Lad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:26 AM

Bro it's simple, if you wanna be a Lightforged, be the deadass Lightforged Draenei race that blizz gave us. Otherwise be a paladin with whatever snowflake race you want. I don't see Lightforged gnomes on my character creation screen. Army of the Light can have allies, but from what I've played on retail, every Army of the Light npc is a lightforged draenei excluding Turalyon and the literal Lightforged Nathrezim. Thanks.

• Myst, Sitra and Esadan like this

wigglehuun.gifwigglehuun.gifwigglehuun.gifwigglehuun.gifwigglehuun.gif

#25 Illarian

Illarian

Alt-Right Night Elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 10:14 AM

Are they named, mention anywhere else other than one sentence? Does it specifically mention races of Azeroth are allowed to bear the title? No, not really

Why does it need to be for it to be canon?

it's terribly vague and I do believe Blizzard's lore writing is as cohesive as a four year old's story about going to Disneyland.

Totally, we can agree on that. Still, the faction description is both very canon and very explicit about how open the Army of the Light is.

the artwork presents the adventurer / player character

Not really, the artwork presents Alleria and Turalyon at the head of an army composed of two Draenei, a gnome, a night elf, an orc, a blood elf and two humans. There is also a Tauren in the back.

Official artwork for the Army of the Light: https://d1u5p3l4wpay...e_Light_7.3.jpg

We can go in circles about how we perceive this case

I'm not making my argument based on how I perceive it, I'm simply stating the lore given to us by Blizzard to answer the OP's question and I'm not interpreting it in my own way.

• Toguthos2 likes this

wei-wang-2012-warcraft-042-traveler-001-

#26 Illarian

Illarian

Alt-Right Night Elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 10:20 AM

I think we can close this debate with this article written by Anne Stickney, an author at Blizzard who wrote a Roleplay guide about creating a character in the Army of the Light. You can read it in full here: https://blizzardwatc...ber-army-light/

I'll just highlight some of the points:

Realistically, you can choose any race to be a member of that Grand Army. After all, Turalyon and Alleria joined the Army and have been fighting along with the rest of the Lightforged for quite some time. It’s not too preposterous to assume that other races were called to do the same. 

A Draenei is the most logical choice for a member of the Army of the Light. But if you’re choosing one of Azeroth’s native races, you’ll want to determine how your character came in contact with the group. Presumably they had some kind of deep connection to the Light. 

Reiterating the point I made earlier: The Army of the Light is definitely not exclusive to Draenei.

• mfcb95 and Toguthos2 like this

#27 Swamma

Swamma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 01:33 PM

12 yrs n still amazed to see what people will choose to argue over

just .create phase your own interpretation of canon n call it a day ty, the canon-jerking over warcraft, a setting that's been micro-retconned so many times i'm still catching up on it all with 3 volumes of chronicle, is not worth it and i think we can all agree you can probably do better things with your time, like actually rp

• Esadan, THE traius and Toguthos2 like this

big suck

#28 Titiantree

Titiantree

Elite Premium Member

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2803 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 02:24 PM

i don't know what this discussion about subjective interpretation is, it has always been in the lore that the army of the light is non-exclusive; as it stands, especially in our timeline, the army of the light is compromised predominantly of the lightforged but it's not like there are any real restrictions on it as a whole -- yrel converted, through force, all of draenor to the light to be a part of the army while in our timeline anduin even had weird dreams of the army of the light including all the races of azeroth (including dragons). it was never written to be a solely draenei faction, it just stands at the moments we arrive on argus that that was the case... since no one else really had contact with them

• Illarian and Toguthos2 like this

#29 Titiantree

Titiantree

Elite Premium Member

• Donator
  • 2803 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 02:32 PM

involving such a prominent character in your backstory (again, in my opinion) smells.

this isn't really as much of a problem as you think it is either; blizzard gave us lightforged draenei knowing they would have close ties to turalyon and alleria as well xe'ra, blood knights who had to have direct contact with m'uru until the sunwell was restored, etc... it's not really quite that overblown to have been influenced by these characters in some way

• Clara and Toguthos2 like this

#30 Tevildo

Tevildo

'Elga Chamo

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 03:51 AM

There's lore, and then there's "it doesn't say so in lore, but I think it's possible so I will do it". Two different opinions, two different preferences of RP, none of which are by definition wrong because RP is about making stories. I just happen to like mine written within the established boundaries of the universum.

Spoiler

If the lore is subjective depending on who interprets it, how can we have a cohesive roleplay and agree on...anything?

Spoiler

• Sitra and Illarian like this

unknown.png

#31 The Beast

The Beast

nothing to lose

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 10:46 PM

I've always personally felt that you don't have to be part of the bulwark that went to Argus and a Lightforged to be considered one of the Army of the Light. The purpose of the organization is to fight the Legion, right? So, what would stop other, exotic alien races, perhaps even those who somehow were misplaced from Azeroth to carry the mantle as members of the army on some far-off world, fighting the good fight as resistence? Just food for thought.

• Illarian and Toguthos2 like this

-s

#32 Lawbreaker

Lawbreaker

The Timeless Whelp

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 04:39 AM

I mean it is 100% made by draenei who became lightforged. The lightforged went through really tough trials to become who they are and I’m not sure other people could easily survive the trial. Nothing in lore says other races are not allowed to join, but we only have one example of major major major lore characters who are part of it.
Zaridormi The Timeless Whelp

#33 Illarian

Illarian

Alt-Right Night Elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 10:20 AM

lisa.jpg

> Blizzard author goes out of her way to point out that everyone can join The Army of the Light

> People keep insisting that it's Draenei-exclusive

> Mfw

• Generic DH and Toguthos2 like this

#34 Toguthos2

Toguthos2

Donator Extended

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 05:44 AM

yall have played bfa right?

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Purified

lisa.jpg

> Blizzard author goes out of her way to point out that everyone can join The Army of the Light

> People keep insisting that it's Draenei-exclusive

> Mfw

Basically. I feel like this applies more to pre-BfA Army of the Light but it's demonstrably the case that the current iteration of the Army isn't racially exclusive. EXCLUSIVE. That's the keyword here. There's no evidence you'll be excluded from the Army for being a Dwarf, it's just that prior to the arrival of the Lightforged on Azeroth there wasn't an abundance of Dwarves in the Nether. 

In WoW MU you have the Purified and in AU Draenor you have the Lightbound. Their focus is the Light's dominion; The Army of the Light isn't a Draenei cultural club it just happens to be that the first and most persistent survivors of Legion were Draenei. 

this isn't really as much of a problem as you think it is either; blizzard gave us lightforged draenei knowing they would have close ties to turalyon and alleria as well xe'ra, blood knights who had to have direct contact with m'uru until the sunwell was restored, etc... it's not really quite that overblown to have been influenced by these characters in some way

There's a special RPer aversion to including lore characters in you character's background that's actually absurd in some cases. At the end of The Rise of the Horde, Velen basically handpicks Draenei that'd come with him to hide in Zangarmarsh. If you're a Draenei shaman you've probably met or even studied under Nobundo. Sometimes it makes sense and is necessary for your character to have met or interacted with a lore character. It'd be really interesting to explore the motivations behind joining what's pretty much a pan-racial Light-supremacist organization post-Legion. 

#35 funtcase

funtcase

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:48 PM

people are still talking about what could have been answered in a sentence

no it isn't exclusive to draenei

#36 Darkshade

Darkshade

Fuck off

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:11 PM

Wowpedia with source: Faction description

"The Grand Army of the Light, also called the Golden Army, the Army of Light, and the Lightforged,[5] is a faction of enlightened races that the naaru said would one day combat the ravages of the Burning Legion. After the fall of Argus, the draenei's finest warriors followed the prime naaru Xe'ra across the cosmos in an eternal war to bring about the Legion's end. Since then, other survivors of the Burning Crusade have joined the ranks of the Lightforged.[1]"

So go be a void elf in the army of light, have sex with a lightforged and give birth to a voidforged or a loivht elf or whatever.

Characters:

Spoiler

#37 Titiantree

Titiantree

Elite Premium Member

• Donator
  • 2803 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:36 PM

hey welcome back darkshade