Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  dr3ad : (09 March 2019 - 08:53 PM)

Fixed some crashes, almost 2 days uptime now.

@  dr3ad : (24 November 2018 - 01:38 PM)

Couple of thousand new/missing gameobjects have been added. Check out the full list here.

@  dr3ad : (23 November 2018 - 02:56 PM)

Fixed 'failed to retrieve' pw field in account panel.

@  dr3ad : (17 November 2018 - 06:41 PM)

Server is once again online and website is back up and running, so you can login/register. 7.3.5 changelog can be viewed here.

@  dr3ad : (11 November 2018 - 11:36 PM)

Changelog coming soon.

@  dr3ad : (11 November 2018 - 11:36 PM)

Server is online. Download new client here https://rpheaven.org...nnection-guide/

@  dr3ad : (11 November 2018 - 07:44 PM)

Server is undergoing restart and updating to 7.3.5, new client link will be posted in a bit. Stay tuned.

@  dr3ad : (08 November 2018 - 01:07 PM)

Do not build anything important starting from now as we're taking backup and upgrading to 7.3.5 first in the next couple of days, as a part of transition to BFA.

@  dr3ad : (03 November 2018 - 08:52 PM)

Fixed Sign Maker in Gameobject Forge.

@  dr3ad : (20 October 2018 - 03:52 PM)

Fixed the annoying downtime that would happen quite often. Server restarter is now working at 100% again

@  dr3ad : (09 October 2018 - 07:06 PM)

Fixed all client related Connection Issues & Errors. Just run .exe again

@  dr3ad : (15 September 2018 - 01:07 AM)

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: For everyone having connection issues please redownload client from here!

@  dr3ad : (29 August 2018 - 07:05 PM)

Fixed all of the voting sites, now you can earn up to (3x3)x2 = 18 silver coins per day!!!

@  dr3ad : (10 August 2018 - 07:44 PM)

RPH: Battle for Azeroth + New Project (must read). View here.

@  dr3ad : (18 July 2018 - 11:31 PM)

If you're getting BLZ51900002 error change your DNS server settings to google's 8.8.8.8 (if you dont know how to do this google it)

@  dr3ad : (04 July 2018 - 10:37 AM)

Fixed issue where some members would get "You're not allowed to visit this community" error

@  dr3ad : (30 June 2018 - 06:19 PM)

Added commands .gob massmove #EntryID #Distance #f/l/w/d/u & .gob massrel #EntryID #Distance #f/l/w/d/u (those two commands move all entries in specified direction, as well as .aura list which displays all "hidden" auras on the character

@  dr3ad : (27 June 2018 - 08:53 PM)

Added new commands .gob massreplace #EntryID #NewEntryID and .gob massscale #EntryID #Scale

@  dr3ad : (18 June 2018 - 03:21 PM)

Donator Extended rank has been changed a bit. Read more here.

@  dr3ad : (07 June 2018 - 10:24 PM)

RPHLite AddOn is now available for download, it's a must have addon and will ship with RPHTiny client by default from now on. Read more here.

Photo
- - - - -

bit of a cheeky one

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Esadan

Esadan

boomer at heart

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:45 AM

e00c81cf36c89c8fdd488d46e19d3e380bd2d117

Good evening kids. Today, we’re going to be learning all abouT rolEPLAY as we have a look into the many different kinds of RPH roleplayers in the wait for BFA, and criticize some in the process. You know, that thing you do with strangers online to escape your lack of coherent social skills and deteriorating mental health in the real world? Haha!

Now quickly children, run to your seats before I take your weekly rations

download_1.jpg

Introduction

As we all know, there are many different kinds of roleplayers that call RPH home. Many are enjoyable people with whom we share stories, characters, and jolly times with on a daily or weekly basis. Many are not. From the generic settlement in the middle of nowhere to the private RP project that dies in 3 weeks, we’re all brought together by a common purpose. In this post, I’m aiming to create a discussion based around common noticeable RP traits from person to person, and perhaps give advice on how I personally believe RP from both a community and independent standpoint could be improved. This post may not be for you, but feel free to add your own philosophical ideas.

Of course, these are obviously just my opinions and a few observations. All RP is good RP, when it comes down to it. So long as you and the people involved are having fun there’s no real issue at the end of the day. Live and let live. Yet, there are often seeded issues with roleplayer’s that in my mind tend to plague the community as a whole. I’m here to discuss some and hopefully give helpful advice. Because if you’re intending on putting effort into something, you should put effort into it the right way.

1. Characterization, morality, and reasoning 

I’ll start with something decently complex. We’ve all seen people make in-the-moment decisions while RPing, and of course, you’ve probably made a few yourself. Unfortunately over the years I’ve seen a decent amount of people basically throw common sense and pre-established character personality out the window when in reference to making decisions. And it’s understandable, really. It’s not always easy to react the way a character would actually react. But there are often common scenarios from which we could all learn and improve.

Spoiler

2. "Guys look how cool I am"

This is something more narrowed down, and something I've noticed a lot. There’s always that person, no matter where you go, who tries to stand out and just be the most AlpHa guy in the environment of nerds. I understand. I too like attention. Even I, the superior roleplayer, am guilty of this. It's a difficult habit to kill. But that doesn’t mean I go around typing every word into thesaurus.com to write this long speech in /s about how much of a freaking epic guy I am. Yeah everyone likes their time in the spotlight. Everyone likes to give their input. I’m talking about the guys who get so self-consumed that they forget they’re interacting with other people, not heads that talk back.

Step #1: Calm down. Stop worrying so much about how other people are perceiving you. (Srsly, it shows when you sit down alone and don’t talk to anyone because you're shy. Why join a public phase if you’re just going to sit there for 15 minutes? It’s called invis morphing you loser)

Step #2: Think of creative ways to actually interact with others. Read peoples profiles. Preferably don’t just walk up to people with something they could easily see coming. Maybe they have interesting RP hooks amongst their generically written glances.

Step #3. Stop stroking your ego for 10 minutes and actually think on how you could benefit the RP as a whole (this step mostly applies to private guilds).

3. Character Power

Obviously this comes down to subjective taste. However, I can confidently say that most people find little enjoyment in character’s that A. are just over-the-top to the point of stupidity, B. have no capabilities whatsoever, or C. are some tryhard mix of both.

Allow me to demonstrate with a graph:

Spoiler

Obviously this exquisitely crafted piece of artwork doesn’t portray everyone on the power scale but I think it does a good job. In yellow, I put where I think most people on these forums luckily are at in context to their characters judging by the connections I've made ingame. If not, you should probably raise or nerf yourself to around that level. There’s nothing interesting about the apprentice or random guard who has no skills whatsoever (let’s be honest, with the current RP climate, you’re not going to get too many chances at actually developing such a toon properly either). There’s nothing interesting about another poweremoting wannabe god. And there’s nothing interesting about someone hanging in the middle who just performs his assigned role perfectly. It’s okay to make mistakes. It’s okay to fluctuate mildly. They’re pixels bro. And yeah, obviously different character roles are going to be more powerful than others, but personally I believe people should remain somewhat at the downlow. It’s always made for more engaging storytelling. Every movie ever made would suck if the protag just used their hidden light powers to help them finish the story. Character death too plays into this. Another element of engageability in my opinion involves the fact that your random character could die at any moment in a dangerous situation. If you’re outplayed or outsmarted logically in a legitimate scenario, best just take the full-on character death if you ask me.

4. Female Characters

It’s come to my attention that men on this server don’t really know or haven’t figured out the details of portraying an interesting woman. Wow, what a surprise.

It’s difficult to give tips on this. My main tip is to obviously just… not do it.

But to you mutts out there who insist on roleplaying strong independent female characters who get off by owning all the masculinity in the room: just stop. Nobody likes you. I don’t think I can recall a single well-rped female character played by a male in a good while. Put more thought into your barbie doll if you’re dead-set on being a weird cunt.

5. Public RP in general

Spoiler

There's not much to touch on here because this has been done to death and I don't think I'd be providing anything new. All I can give is a few dot-points for would-be phase owners. Obviously this is in reference to what I've recently seen as popular. 

- If you're going to make a generic town, atleast give it character. Story npcs, actual good building and decoration, a plot to fulfil, trade demands to be met, good political 

roleplay. Make actual citizens patrolling the area not just guards. If you want an example on how to build an interesting town environment, look at Aldervale (phase #6). I never did much RP there but I respected their building a lot. Last I checked it had a password, but I'm sure some of you remember the phase anyway. 

- Stop hosting horror phases please. 90% of them are bad and just come across as failed grimdark bullshit. 

- Don't be afraid to kick people as an admin or phase owner. You don't need to be the next Quintus Harmont with 80+ people in your phase at once. If you see someone with a ridiculously horrible TRP or someone who's just disturbing the quality, remove them. You're not obligated to keep them there. 

f1b8aeeb90e87d86cd6bf72988291f00_XL.jpg?
That’s it for today kids!11 Come back next time for more shitty posts with your favourite patronising internet loser, Esadan!!1!1!1

• mfcb95, Clara, Sashka5337 and 8 others like this

imagine unironically being a roleplayer

#2 Esadan

Esadan

boomer at heart

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:46 AM

what

#3 Thegnar

Thegnar

still cooler than esadan haha amiright guys

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:48 AM

vZ6UItV.png

fixed your scale bro :))

sVInm46.png

They've arrived.

#4 Nortwin

Nortwin

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2184 posts

User's Awards

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:43 PM

by gavinlad be purged

• yolandi and Red Dorage like this

#5 Russian Ivan

Russian Ivan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 01:39 PM

if its accurate why you do exactly the opposite of what is described here tho

#6 7oda

7oda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 01:58 PM

You forgot the start never leavers

Hi, I'm Ol'maar, Bye.

#7 Gavinlad

Gavinlad

resident slann-priest

• Donator* (Donator Extended)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:13 PM

Uh oh!

W7yTvF8.png

#8 Goobs

Goobs

i don't roleplay

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:25 PM

i already made a much better roleplay thread sorry

https://rpheaven.org...ehind-roleplay/

• Gavinlad likes this

Goobs the Curses Salesman
The Gambler
Lord Zacravik
Arilzar Azurestar
Hodor Lavahide

#9 Red Dorage

Red Dorage

i beat my wife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:43 PM

too many words pls resume to using only 5 words

• Esadan likes this

dorage.png

Spoiler

#10 Dove

Dove

banana chip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:44 PM

- If you're going to make a generic town, atleast give it character. Story npcs, actual good building and decoration, a plot to fulfil, trade demands to be met, good political 

roleplay. 

lol

• Gavinlad likes this

<Pathfinders Society> the guild has moved to a different platform  :)

#11 Linux.dib

Linux.dib

First of all, it's not donor, it's gnu/donor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

I sure love these ironic threads.

• Gavinlad and Wo0d Glue like this

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

IRONIC SHITPOSTING

IS STILL SHITPOSTING

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

#12 Josh00

Josh00

vermintide prodigy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

funnny post bro haha

• Esadan likes this
Spoiler

9LBhrvi.png

- the fine print reads none of this artwork is my original work it is the property of fatshark games

#13 Gavinlad

Gavinlad

resident slann-priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:50 PM

bottom line only one part of this thread has any sense

Its up to the RPers to RP, hosts only need to provide a location. If you dont engage in your surrounding you're literally just an NPC

If you think a host needs to cater to you then you need a babysitter not a phase owner
  • Dove, Red Dorage, TheKaldorei1 and 7 others like this

W7yTvF8.png

#14 Sashka5337

Sashka5337

The Truehand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1174 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:38 PM

good shit
Deus Vult

#15 Stank gum

Stank gum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:21 PM

the fuck is this

• Esadan likes this

bks3_graphicnovel_season1_v1_instagram_t

#16 Esadan

Esadan

boomer at heart

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:36 PM

i already made a much better roleplay thread sorry

https://rpheaven.org...ehind-roleplay/

my apologies master goobs i didnt realise threads from may of 2018 were still relevant 

#17 Esadan

Esadan

boomer at heart

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:43 PM

bottom line only one part of this thread has any sense

sorry i often have trouble expressing my mounds of boundless intellect in post format 

Its up to the RPers to RP, hosts only need to provide a location. If you dont engage in your surrounding you're literally just an NPC If you think a host needs to cater to you then you need a babysitter not a phase owner

but yea, this too

an admin should be there to moderate the playerbase and keep a controlled environment, not cater to every individual need of the people joining

#18 Collector

Collector

Your Friendly Lord of Change

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:48 PM

That image of that toilet is giving public RP too much credit, it should look something more like this: https://i.imgur.com/oXgZbsT.jpg

• Esadan likes this

#19 SalineSeas

SalineSeas

in da fresh

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:30 AM

i'm deleting roleplay

• Wo0d Glue, Esadan and Russian Ivan like this

battlewinner.png
a bomb!