Hello and welcome to Adopt-A-Bio™, your go-to location for character, NPC, and background character inspiration. Here you will be able to look and find a listing of assorted "generic" biographies and outlines for RP characters to use at your discretion. The entries will be in a largely generic format, only getting into basic descriptions, names, classes, as well as a reference picture for use if desired. You might be asking: "Do I have to stick to what's presented?" Heavens no! You can add or subtract things from the skeletons of the characters to add as much or as little depth to them as you wish, or perhaps just add some defining characteristics and use them as a quick-start character. Whatever you wish to use the character for, this thread is at your disposal if you run into a rut or just want to add some spice to your ideas.
Who is this thread for?
What is the goal of this thread?
I'm glad I asked. The point of this thread is multi-sided and can be summed up in the following points:
- Increase variety amongst roles, races, NPCs (both generic and for extended use in phases).
- Promote creativity by presenting people with an unfinished mold that they can manipulate to create a desirable character that fits nicely into the confines of cannon lore (see disclaimer).
- Bridge the gap between elite RPers who have established characters, storylines, and power fitting of their knowledge of their character, role, and purpose; to those who may not have as much inspiration, are new to the WoW RP scene (both from other RPing mediums or just new to RPing entirely), and those who misguidedly believe that they can create and properly RP an archmage or other relatively difficult character with much power that the player doesn't have experience with- or they are just using a token character mold. For these people this shall be like a buffet of things that they can choose from to escape that trend of going with the "flavor of the month" and hopefully giving them a starting point to create a character that is likened to those that elite RPers possess.
- Showing people alternatives to done-to-death characters that are still cannon-friendly (see disclaimer again) but are still able to set them apart from the majority of RPers (since some may like the same role posted here, some characters may appear similar at a glance, but the hope is that they will add depth through personality and choices to separate themselves further within this).
How does it work?
Man, I'm asking all the good questions today.
The way it works is quite simple, you come here, you search through the thread, find a concept/skeleton/format/etc. that you like and you choose what you like, dislike, want to change, how the character may turn out in the future, and whether this is a character you will like playing in the future based on what is presented to you and what your imagination takes you along for with such minimal presentation. For a step-by-step list of things to help your experience be ideal, check the following. Otherwise don't, I'm not a fucking cop. Do what you want.
- Pick a character bio that suits YOUR style, don't go with something that you think will be good for other players to "like" or "accept." If people don't accept your role without some reason that they are willing to give to you (preferably in a friendly manner), then it has less to do with you and more to do with them.
- Just because you picked a character from this list DOES NOT mean that it is entirely lore friendly, as the skeleton is lore-friendly, your final product MAY NOT BE (see disclaimer again to further drive the point into your head). For the ideal build for your final product, consult lore involving your character IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE BACKGROUND OF THEIR RACE/CLASS, or in some cases the combination of the two. I will leave a link to the cannon wowpedia site at the end of this for your consultation needs. You can also refer to some of the people who are active on the forums, see what their lore specialty is (we all have one, mine is warlocks and demons), and toss them some questions. Most of us like helping people become enlightened to how FUCKING METAL OUR LORE IS, WOOOOO.
- If you have consulted the things I have left you but you still are criticized and you don't understand why, you are free to bring your character to me, along with the template (preferably) and I can tell you what things people might have issue with and how to best correct it. I will not judge, I have done far worse than you ever could do if you tried. Alternatively, you can take it to one of the other lore nerds I mentioned above and see what they think. (Note: if it is not in one of my main lore focuses, my advice may not be the best. I will tell you if it is in my realm of knowledge or not if you bring it to me.
- If you take the character template but you want to adjust the class, make sure it is not an RPG class, otherwise it is considered non-cannon and I cannot help you with that outside of theorycrafting. Multiclassing within reason is totally cool and I will include possible multiclasses for templates that it suits. You are also free to use these templates to get an idea for what your undead character may have been like before their resurrection, orc before corruption, etc.
- Take criticism with a grain of salt, but if someone just insults your idea, take that with a bottle of rum.. Oh shit, it's gone.
- If you take the template and use it to create something that you either know or think is not cannon, I take no responsibility for any flak you receive. You brought it upon yourself. This includes all RPG elements which will never be included here ever until directly confirmed to be cannon. See the Lightslayer argument for what I mean.
- If you see someone with a character vaguely similar to yours, make sure they didn't just use the same template. Ideally, you should declare that the character is made from a public template on the forums (mentioning the Adopt-A-Bio™ name is optional but would be appreciated).
- Don't talk about Fight Club.
- I don't take responsibility for what people do with the templates or what you decide to do with them.
- Don't use the templated name, I will link a name generator along with the other helpful links.
Yes, the one you've been hearing about.
I take no responsibility for what you do with the template and you should not, under any circumstances, use the fact that you used the template as an excuse that you are cannon and everyone else is wrong for saying you aren't. Your actions directly affect the cannon nature of your character, if you do not know what is cannon and what isn't, consult a lore nerd like myself to check you. I will refer to this exact statement if someone says someone who used the template is not cannonly roleplaying and is saying they are, if someone says that they used it but people say their character is criticized, or you expect some sort of blame to be placed on me, it shall not because past giving you the tools, I have no influence on what you do with them.
Want to contribute?
Send your template to me via a PM and I shall tell you whether it is acceptable or not to be posted in this thread. You can post it independently for people outside of those who want to do cannon-exclusive RP to cater to custom lore RPers or RPG RPers.
Want to help new RPers get used to RPing in a serious, actually helpful and embracing manner? PM about your interest to me and I will either A: set up a Discord, or B: use Skype.
New to RP but not sure where to go? PM me that you have read this very statement along with the key word "watermelon" and I shall embrace you in the conve- I mean the Skype group/Discord server.
Got other support you want to offer that hasn't been mentioned? Got an idea for another sister project or something else entirely? PM me and mention the thread with the key word "disco ball" somewhere in your PM (not separate from the body of the message, it has to fit) and we can talk.
"Won't this reduce creative variability amongst RPers?"
Short answer: Ideally, no.
Long answer: If people follow the protips and accept that this is giving them only something to build off of, their own creativity will take over. If there is a lack of creativity past this, it has less to do with what is presented, and more to do with the person actually taking the idea and molding it with their own creative mind.
"What if it's not cannon?"
Short answer: It will be cannon, otherwise see disclaimer/literally anything I've said regarding that matter.
Long answer: The templates will be and always will be cannon. I probably won't present enough for them to be non-cannon outside of classes or maybe race/class combination, which I will make sure is checked before posting. That being said, anything people do after they take the template and add their own "spice" to it is not in my sphere of influence unless they come back to me with it. What they do with the character made from the template is what they do. Also see disclaimer again.
As if a lack of creativity and the overabundance of generic roleplayers wasn't enough of a problem already.
Short answer: Concern is understandable, see objectives and the logic about it.
Long answer: Yes, a lack of creativity is a problem, and the idea is not to give out generic bios as in they're all the same, the idea is to give out generic bios as in these characters could be a faceless person in a bar that you pick out through some character creation process, kind of like Diablo with the characters stepping forward out of the shadows and you choosing which one you like.
"Why not have a team?"
Short answer: We're going to have one, wanna be in on it? See "Want to Contribute" bit.
Long answer: Originally, there was not going to be a team oversight effort for this, but after a suggestion from Kenyon, such a thing will be available for new people who want to consult it, or veterans who wish to be part of the initiative to help offer new players a check for their characters. If you want to join in on that OR be one of the ones the team will help, see the "Want to Contribute" portion.
(Others added as needed)
Thanks to Antonius for the sweet graphic.